Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Method # 9

MeeboMe was blocked by my school. I could not even access it through the 2-Step blog so I can not comment on it.
But I have used AOL's IM, and different tech support chat services. I have always thought chatting was much better than e-mailing back and forth if you are working on a problem and someone is trying to help you.
I think chats could be a useful tool for libraries if you had the man power to make sure the patron was not waiting long for replies and if it was available extended hours. That is the one thing I dislike about some tech support services - "You are next in line, please do not disconnect." and you wait forever, or you have the time to work on something and it is not during operating hours.
I don't see my library using this tool because the library is not open after school hours and during the day our library is small enough, they could ask the question across the room.
Texting as a form of chatting and students do that 24/7 so it would just be a matter of the library being able to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment